No phone, no lights, no motor car
Not a single luxury.
Like Robinson Crusoe …
It’s primitive as can be
When you visit Shell Key, you are essentially in the wilderness. There are no toilets – there is no running water – no trash cans or any other modern conveniences. It is up to you to bring everything you need to survive – and, more importantly – to leave nothing behind except footprints.
A checklist for Shell Key visitors will start with everything you would normally bring to the beach – supplemented with critical survival gear. Here is a brief list of things we recommend …
Sunscreen, Shade Canopy or Umbrella, Hat, Sunglasses, Towels & Food.
- Fresh Water (bring more than you think you need)
- Waterproof Shoes (are considered survival gear due to the sandspurs)
- Well stocked First Aid Kit – include tweezers, insect repellent and eye wash.
- Cell Phone (This is your lifeline to land and rescue if you are stranded. Bring 2 if possible – or have a vhf radio on board your boat as a backup)
- Portable Toilet (yes. It’s true. Technically, you are not allowed to relieve yourself on the island)
- Trash Bags (to clean after yourself – and hopefully others as well)
Consider any additional special needs that you or your guests may have. Always plan for the worst while hoping for the best.